Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Do avatars dream of a digital field?


Although I am pretty much English born and bred, when I was young, I did spend a year living across the big pond, in that former colony know as the United States of America. One of my strongest memories of that time was a visit to Chicago, and being literally awestruck standing outside Wrigley Field, the home of the Chicago Cubs baseball team, by the sheer size and majesty of the place. Since then, a slew of baseball films has solidified my fondness for the Great American Pastime.

Therefore, when I was scouring across the map, and spotted what looked to be a stadium with a diamond, on a sim called "baseball", I couldn't resist.

What I discovered was a replica of New York's legendary Yankee Stadium, with a lobby stuffed with every bit of New York Yankees and Red Sox memorabilia an avatar could desire, from caps and bats, to the obligatory beer in a plastic cup, and stadium hotdog.

Then, as you move through the corridors out into the open, you find yourself among the seating, looking out upon a fully realised, if not to scale, baseball stadium, with the field filled with miniature cartoon versions of the yankees and red sox teams, playing a game against each other. It's not working perfectly, as some of the players were laying on their faces, wiggling their legs in despair, but it doesn't lessen the impressiveness of this great fun project.

Take me out to the ball game!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive