Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Life Musicians Plan Montreal Music Mixer

By Nazz Lane

I’d found out about the mixer on a recent evening while at my usual haunt, the Tranquil Café. A poster and note card giver had been a recent addition I noted as I spun my camera view around checking out the lively crowd assembled. Brianna Beresford, owner of the café told me that she’d just gotten the kiosk and had set it out that evening. I clicked to get a note and read it as soon as it rezzed, noting the date for the mixer as July 25th and the location as Montreal, Quebec. Scanning down I saw that contacts for those interested in learning more about the event could contact, Montian Gilruth, Mimi Carpenter, Maximillion Kleene, or Bree Birke. The organizers have billed the event as “A musical gathering for the lovers of live music in SecondLife in the west end of Montreal.” They are planning an all day event to play tunes, hang out, stream short sets into SL and perform an evening show which will be open to the public at large. And … the note also said … “If there is enough interest we may be able to have a mixer at a local bar /restaurant the evening of July 24th”.

Here’s the tentative schedule for Saturday, July 25th from event organizers.

12:00 Opening

1:00 Streaming of Scheduled SL shows from the main stage

2:00 Streaming of Scheduled SL shows from the main stage

3:00 Streaming of Scheduled SL shows from the main stage

4:00 Streaming of Scheduled SL shows from the main stage

5:00 Dinner Break BBQ

6:00 Dinner Break BBQ

7:00 Preparation for concert

8:00 Public Concert begins as well as SL streaming

9:00 Public Concert

10:00 Public concert

11:00 Concert ends and participants move to location in the village TBA

Finished reading it, I closed it and scanned around the café again, where I’d noticed one of the organizers had just arrived, Max Kleene. I sent him an IM and we chatted briefly as he was there on a stopover on his way to perform a gig soon at another venue.

Nazz: It looks to be a great event, how'd the idea come about?

Max: Well Mimi was going to visit Montian this summer, and then she asked if I’d tag along. It was after then that Montian thought about the hall and inviting lots of listeners out. At first it seemed ambitious ... but it's getting a great response, and now it's shaping up to be a great time.

Nazz: It sounds like it will be. Is this the first time you all have planned for a mixed reality event of this size?

Max: I’m not sure … first one I’ve been involved with. I've met and jammed with other SL musicians a few times, but this is the first time we'll do a "show" kind of thing.

Nazz: Have the locations in SL been finalized?

Max: No not yet.

Nazz: How many SL venues will there be do you think?

Max: Well, one plan was to let any venue host the stream, and do an event for 5000L to help with the costs. I think that's fair and with all proceeds going to a local charity.

Nazz: That's most generous ... what has been the response so far with venues approached?

Max: Well, we aren't doing much approaching venues … none at all actually … just whoever is interested can sign up.

Nazz: Is there a web site with information?

Max: No website ... but I think Bree Birke has information on her site.

It was a day later that I caught up with Ms Birke who had this to say about the mixer. “Having been to the Montreal venue for much a smaller get together a couple of times, I'm really excited about this one. A lot of us have known each other for a long time in SL. Some of us have met but not on this scale. This is primarily a social event … we've been brought together by the music though, from the start."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive