Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pride - I Am What I Am

I remember marching in the Gay Pride Parade while living in NYC, singing along to the Gloria Gaynor version of I Am What I Am while walking down the Fifth Avenue. It was the 80s, and we took the opportunity to be loud and proud. So, to celebrate Gay Pride Month, I thought it would be great fun to bring back this classic. Only, instead of using the version of the great Diva, why not use a version by a great gay man? That man is John Barrowman.



I am a huge fan of Barrowman, a wonderful singer and actor, an out and proud gay man. He entered into a civil partnership with his longtime lover, Scott Gill, in 2006. He currently stars in one of my favorite TV shows, Torchwood, having the hottest scenes with Ianto, played by the adorable Gareth David-Lloyd. Torchwood begins the third season on July 20th on BBCAmerica. In the opening of Season 2, Barrowman had a great scene with James Marsters [formerly Spike on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer].



Barrowman utilized the great voice of another out British actor, Daniel Boys, on recent tours, and they sang I Knew Him So Well from the musical Chess. [Boys has just released a CD I hope to get in the mail shortly and be able to review]



So, happy Pride, everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive