Thursday, June 18, 2009

"The Garden" a Kabuki Theater Performance

By Nazz Lane

Something that I rarely do, at least not since my very early days in second life, I did a search in events that evening. I found several gallery openings and thought of porting over for a visit to one. But as I scrolled down the list, I spotted one for a Kabuki Theater performance, ( Beantown/248/69/23), Not having had the pleasure of viewing one in real life I decided to do so in second life. So, I glanced at the start time and thought, “It should be interesting” and I took the ride over. Checking the time on my PC clock, I saw that I had several minutes to go. I scanned around with my camera controls admiring the build before going through some note cards while I waited for the performance to begin.

“Konnichiwa … Welcome to Mo-Lu Theater”, said Mojo Manamiko as he bowed.

I smiled and bowed slightly at the waist. “Thank you.” I replied and then added, “It’s very nice build here, congrats!”

“Thank you, only this part is Asian. The cantina is Southern Mexico.” He said. As he did I noticed a woman approaching. She stopped next to him and then spoke.

“Did you hear about our play?” LuckyMoon Jiagu, asked.

“I did yes, listed in events. I was looking through to see what was going on today. It starts at 4 pm SLT, right?” I asked.

“The play is in about an hour, at 5 pm SLT.” She said in reply.

“It’s the last show of the week tonight.” Mojo added.

I expressed my dismay and disappointment by telling them, “I misread the start time and I have another event to attend at 5 pm.”

“We’re sorry to hear that. If you have some time, perhaps you would like a helicopter tour of our land?” She asked.

I glanced at the clock and realized that I did now have some free time so I replied, “I would enjoy that, thank you.”

We walked a short distance to Mojo’s parked helicopter, climbed aboard and took off for a tour. Mojo provided a commentary in chat on the tour, highlighting the Jasmine's Cantina Café. We then flew over white water rapids that included an area for surfing along with a coral reef. Next was a romantic garden and adjacent to it meditation area replete with tai chi poses. He told me that their “Tai Chi” groups meets their in the mornings. We returned to the starting point, next to the Kabuki Theater.

We walked the virtual us back toward the theater, where LuckyMoon awaited our return. I took note cards offered about the play and schedule for reference.Still disappointed and interested in the play, I asked, “Who wrote the play?”

“Mojo and I ... but mostly Mojo.” LuckyMoon replied, and then asked, “Will you be joining us for the show?”

“I have a conflict, but would like to catch a performance.” I replied.

“Well it will run thru June and we do give private showings. If you would like to bring someone we would do a show just for the two of you … a special evening. We’ve been surprised at the reaction of our guests to the show.” Mojo said

“Surprised … how so?” I asked.

“I think it turned out better than we thought. We have yet to see it though, we’re busy with props and things … we do all of it ourselves … script, props, lighting, effects, costume changes and scenery changes. It’s about a twenty five minute show. If you like we can do a performance now for you. We would be honored if you have time.” Mojo said and then added, “It will take us a few minutes to set up. If you have someone you’d like to bring over, please do.”

Surprised at their offer, I protested briefly about adding the unscheduled performance. They repeated the offer and I finally acceded to the request and said, “I am honored as well, and yes I would enjoy that … Thank you.”

“Then please take a seat … in the seat of honor. It’s the best view.” LuckyMoon said.

As they began their preparation, I sent an IM and TP request to a dear friend who readily agreed to port over and join me. She arrived and took a seat next to me and we chatted while we waited for the curtain to rise. I told her there were five scenes and a one or two minute curtain between scenes for set and costume changes. The play is entitled “The Garden”. She commented that she’d never seen a Kabuki performance and was very happy that I’d thought of asking her.

The performance began with an announcement reminding us to change our settings to midnight, which we both did. This was followed by an introduction of the cast, and an overview of the play. LuckyMoon’s character is named Ji Yue and Mojo’s Ho Ling, the setting of the play is in “In the 17th century feudal Japan, where Ji Yue danced as a geisha in the courts of the palace. The villagers and travelers would gather daily to watch. Among them was young Ho Ling, a foot soldier in the emperor’s army, assigned to the tasks that befall a young soldier, watching the crowds and keeping general order about the small villages.”

The curtain rose and the scene unfolded. Ji Yue danced and the young soldier Ho Ling watched, transfixed by her beauty. We both were transfixed as well, with the beautifully appointed scenery, costumes and movements of both as the five scenes played out before us. Each replete with costume and scenery changes, text chat dialog, and dance animations. The final scene culminated with two lovers who were reunited. As the curtain dropped, we both jumped to our feet and provided the writers, actors, back stage hands, stage directors a standing ovation. We continued our applause as they made a “curtain call”. We chatted briefly afterward about the play, the performance and the ladies talked about the geisha gowns. In an IM, my friend commented on their being the sweetest couple and I readily agreed with her.

The time was drawing near for the scheduled performance and my next engagement. We said our goodbyes and as I was about to port over to it, a chat line appeared.

“Thank you for coming ... we hope you enjoyed your evening. Please TP safely. Thank you for allowing us to perform for you.” Said Mojo .

As the TP initiated I thought, “A sweet couple indeed.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive