Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sarah Lashes out and is suspended

Last Tuesday when Linden Lab announced the price hike to the openspace sims feelings ran extremely high - from renters who would never be able to own their own sim or island to big estate owners and land barons.
One of Linden labs biggest supporters has always been Sarah Nerd even when LL dropped the prices and caused most land owners to re-evaluate Sarah still supported them and adapted her business plans accordingly. The price decrease left most estate owners gasping back then and struggling to make ends meet - after all their business had been devalued overnight.
With this new increase in tier payments for ALL - not just new islands - everyone who bought into the Linden lie are angry and disillusioned.
I must admit to being shocked when I heard Sarah had been suspended for voicing her anger, not because she said 'F*** you Linden Lab' but because Linden Lab had the gall to suspend her for doing so. Talk about wanting to make an example - well LL if you want to do that there is nothing like attacking a staunch supporter!
In her blog on Your 2nd Place Sarah tells us how she felt and reading it is a moving experience:
"I was ashamed of myself. Not because I said f***, but because it was the realization that the game I love, had no love for me."
This one sentence sums up how many are feeling about Linden Lab and Secondlife right now more so than anything else I have heard said about the whole mess.
At the time of her suspension Sarah said:
"I was worried because the next 3 days I'll be working on a contract with a major university on a presentation for next week to help show the benefits of investing in SL for educational purposes."
I must admit I would not be promoting SL to anyone if I were in Sarah's shoes, but I guess she is a model resident which makes Linden Labs treatment of her even worse.
"In RL I talk about how wonderful Second Life is to anyone who listens. Even when I am angry at them, I still love the game and the people. I couldn't believe that moments after they made an announcement that I knew probably meant the end of my estate business I was suspended for voicing my anger with a group of my peers. Did they expect everyone to be quiet and take it? Is it because I used the word f***? I wasn't the only one who did but I was singled out for it. The answer to me saying "F*** You LL" was to take away my ability to do the work that allows me to pay them thousands of dollars in tier??"
The temporary ban was lifted after an appeal to live help who believed Sarah had been treated harshly - What an understatement!
By Dana Vanmoer
Quotes used with permission

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive