Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pollution in SL?

A while ago we posted a story about alternative energy. Wind turbines and stuff. Apparently a lot of people care about the environment (which I personally think is great) and express their feelings in SL too.

However, I did wonder about the 'dirty' side of SL industry as well. I mean, if there's clean energy, there's also notsoclean energy. So I thought, what energy source is important in Real Life? And does SL have it too? Right, oil. So I searched the map, rented a boat and set my GPS to this place. Wasn't hard to find, it rises above sea level by about 55 meters. No one seemed to be there, but it looked like the oil rig was fully auto-operated.





But I still thought, where does all this oil go? So I put on my scuba diving set and took the plunge. I followed the pipeline for several regions and finally saw a lighthouse. By the way, you should really try this: dive under water and look up at things above it. The views can really be amazing at times.



I still didn't have the answers to my questions though. Where does the oil go? I followed the pipe for a short while over land and I just found out it ended !! Very much to my surprise, it was all rusty inside as well. I detached my scuba set and put on a protective suit. Guess what? The pipe wasn't in use !!! And by the looks of it, it hadn't been used in quite a while.

Now I wondered ... Most of the prims in SL are made of wood. Where does the wood come from? Where are all those forests? And those who are skilled builders, know that you can also create prims of plastic. And plastic comes from? Right, crude oil. And what about all those ore mines for the metal objects?



You see my point? What are things made of in SL? Or do you know any places that really cause pollution in SL? Feel free to post a comment if you know the answer. Or if you have any tips for places to visit !!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive