Thursday, May 7, 2009

New "adult" content filtering

By now I hope you all know at least something about Linden Labs plans to merge the teen grid and zone "Adult" or "Mature" content in SL, not only will such items (and places - even by extension people) will be restricted in location and in the search.
Personally I think that these changes will happen, because it is my belief that LL want to attract government and educational
institutions into SL - I know of one project, which can not go ahead because of the SL model as it is now, that has funding of over £100,000 for it's first year in SL, and would bring in it's own residents. Admittedly these residents wouldn't, on the whole, be the sort of residents who have, until now created and built the majority of content in SL but they would bring in an income stream to LL. I actually believe that the money will win the day and that LL will implement these changes regardless of our opinion but that just on principle I will make sure they can't push me into an adult ghetto and say I never complained.
Right now there are groups dedicated to objecting to the changes (the I AM adult content group is probably the largest of these), there is a Jira ticket, demanding that LL halt all of the proposed changes ( jira ticket ). there is a google group for organising and discussing in world protests (google group for residents). Make your voice heard, because it is my belief that trying to ghetto-ise "adult" and "mature" content is the thin end of the the wedge - and if adult themes and adult sexuality are likely to offend or corrupt minors, then perhaps those minors should not be integrated into a world which was designed to be "adult" (it is in the TOS - when you sign up you agree that you are over the age of consent and it is worth looking at the TOS - some of it is very interesting).
" Linden Lab cannot ensure that other users or any non-employee of Linden Lab will not provide Content or access to Content that parents or guardians may find inappropriate or that any user may find objectionable."

So - there you are, under their own TOS LL say that users might provide "adult" (one assumes that anything that is inappropriate or objectionable for viewing by a minor is, by default, "adult") content on the teen grid, but yet they still want to sanatise the main grid for whatever purposes (again, I say this has to do with improving their public image so they can attract publicly funded bodies onto Second Life).
On a personal note, none of my businesses are, by their nature, adult, my personal Second Life is not going to be particularly affected by this move, for me this is a matter of principle. I would rather have a Second Life which is tolerant of all human quirks and kinks, than live in a virtual world where some things are considered "beyond the pale".
Fellow residents, go not quiet into that dark night, lift up your voice and protest. Also be aware, I intend to keep bring this to your attention and I hope my fellow writers here on SL-newspapers, and other bloggers/writers about SL will also keep writing about this subject. There are principles involved - you remember principles, don't you?

Firehorse Rearwind

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive