Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Interview with Ichie Kamachi

By Bixyl Shuftan

I first saw Ichie Kamachi at Mystery during one of her live music performances at Mystery. A great singer with a beautiful tone, the audience applauded every song. Later on, I had a chance to meet up with her (accompanied by her close friend Greek Miklos), and ask about how she became a singer in Second Life and other details of her musical career here.

Bixyl Shuftan: So how did you hear about Second Life?

Ichie Kamachi: I was with some other freinds in a forum and we were on There.com. Some of them migrated here and convinced us to check it out. I’ve been here ever since.

Bixyl Shuftan: How was your time as a newcomer here?

Ichie Kamachi: I was very very sheltered for the first few months. Our friends owned a sim. I never left there, except to shop. And only when someone TP'd me there. So the first ... oh 4 months was like that. I finally started to get out more places, but I was basically a newbie for a long time, didn't know how to do much but dance, sit, and chat. (laugh) But it's the people I started to meet that kept me here. Second Life is full of amazing people.

Bixyl Shuftan: What gave you the idea of becoming a singer here?

Ichie Kamachi: I have a friend I met here. His name is Detritus Rau, awesome guitarist. He wanted to perform live here, but he doesn't sing and he found out I could. He planted the bug. First it was he'd send his backing tracks and I'd play my voice over them and he'd use that and play over then in his shows. Then I spoke to some other friends who are in the music business in real life, and they helped me get set up to sing live here.

Bixyl Shuftan: How did your first sessions go?

Ichie Kamachi: Very well. the very first time. Detritus IMed that he was playing and TPed me there. When I got there he said, “Okay, this is your two song warning: I signed you up to sing.”

“What are you going to do?” I thought to myself, “people are waiting... for you. So you get up and do it.”

But I've been very very blessed, very well received here in Second Life.

Bixyl Shuftan: Do you also sing in real-life?

Ichie Kamachi: Not any more. I grew up mostly in Hawaii, and they have a strong music community there. I used to do some singing with some of the entertainers there. But now, only in my bedroom. :)

Bixyl Shuftan: How many performances do you do a week?

Ichie Kamachi: Anywhere from about 8-14 or so. A lot of them regular shows, like the Queen of Hearts Club on the Mystery Sim. I'm there every other Wednesday at 4 PM SL time. :) We always get an awesome group of people there, one of my favorite places to perform. And Tygeria LOVES the naughty song :) It has been going over really big in Second Life.

Bixyl Shuftan: Besides singing, I notice on your profile you also write.

Ichie Kamachi: (laughs) Yes. I'm what I refer to as a "dabbler." I do a lot of things, passably I would like to think. But until now, nothing ... very well. Writing has gone on hold for a while, though people keep asking. So I need to finish the rewrites and post it somewhere.

Bixyl Shuftan: Going back to music, what would be your favorite kinds of songs to perform?

Ichie Kamachi: Oh anything I love. But, I really love the old stuff: jazz, ballroom, blues ... stuff even before my time. *winks* (laugh)

Bixyl Shuftan: heh ;-)

Ichie Kamachi: I'm starting to like the obscure songs, and lesser known artists.

Ichie crashed at this point in the interview, but soon returned and went back to the subject.

Ichie Kamachi: My favorite song changes all the time. Right now, it's songbird. Which is a good thing since that is my first single I'm bringing out.

Bixyl Shuftan: Oh? Could you give some details?

Ichie Kamachi: Well, my fans have been asking for MP3's and CD's for months now, and it was pretty daunting. But we are working with some great people who have the resources we need. So the custom backing should be done this weekend and hopefully the single will be out for sale within 2 weeks. Then we'll be working on a full CD. Probably romantic jazz and ballroom, but that's not firm yet.

People are waiting, although right now I have about half a dozen Second Life DJ's who play my songs in their sets when they work. I love my fans. They are not only very loyal, but many of them have gone out of their way to help push my "career." And I've gotten many new fans from the DJ's playing my songs at the different clubs.

Bixyl Shuftan: Have there been any particularly memorable performances, such as something unexpected being pulled by the audience or host?

Ichie Kamachi: Hmmm, let's see ... Not really performances, but it's when people are touched by what I do. I had one young girl who was coming to all my shows, and I wondered why since I was doing mostly the jazz back then. She told me one day that her sister was older and a singer and she remembers sitting at her feet listening to her practice the same songs. But all her family is gone now.

Then another lady who loves when I do Bobby McGee. Her late hubby was a producer on Janis' last album. They are both gone, but it brings back good memories for her. That's why I do this. That's where I get the most satisfaction. It still astounds me when people say I make them cry. As long as people enjoy it, it makes me happy to do it. I also do a lot of benefits, my way of giving back.

Bixyl Shuftan: What charities have you performed at?

Ichie Kamachi: Oh so many. Cancer and autism are my two big ones. So are Relay for Life events. Blues for Autism I did last month. That was awesome. People don’t realize I do more than jazz. I've only done some for the Australian bush fires and some smaller charities too, and Make-a-Wish Foundation, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, Children of Ireland, American Cancer Society, and another cancer one in Europe. I forget the name. But almost any charity that can show they are legitimate, I try and make room for.

Bixyl Shuftan: Bringing up something that maybe I should have brought up earlier, I notice that Greek has been by your side the whole time. What can you tell of him?

Ichie Kamachi: (laughs) Greek is an amazing man. :) He holds my heart but he has also been my strongest supporter. He does a bit of everything.

Greek Miklos: Thank you Love, but I am nothing more than just a simple poet and wordsmith.

Ichie Kamachi: He helps find me shows, greets my fans, helps me wade through the legal gobbly gook ... I don’t know what I'd do without him. And yes he is an amazing poet.

Greek Miklos: *blushes*

Ichie Kamachi: :) And modest (laughs)

Bixyl Shuftan: *chuckle* Do you have any future plans with your singing career, or anything else?

Ichie Kamachi: I am always looking toward the future, like I mentioned. Right now, trying to get these recordings out. After that who knows. :) I'm always open to offers and suggestions, especially those that are win-win for every one. :)

Greek Miklos: Just not the kind we have made to each other ... the offers I mean.

Ichie Kamachi: Yes of course Love :) ... We do get some of those too. (laugh)

Greek Miklos: But we are so happy together.

Ichie Kamachi: Yes we are. :)

Bixyl Shuftan: Anything else that you'd like to add?

Ichie Kamachi: Hmmm ... Anything, Love?

Greek Miklos: I am happy that the Second Life community has been so receptive to Ichie

Ichie Kamachi: I am grateful, yes! To my fans and friends, without them, I wouldn't be where I am. I know it sounds cliche, but it's very true. Your fans can make or break you in Second Life especially. I never forget that, and love to see them return again and again. They all become good friends.

Greek Miklos: And don't forget the great venue owners who have given Ichie a chance to show what she can do.

Ichie Kamachi: Yes, I love my venues.

Greek Miklos: They are some great people.

Ichie Kamachi: Like family. And most of them I'd bend over backward to help, and have. Like the Queen of Hearts Anniversary. I was totally booked for this weekend, but slid them in. I didn't want to miss something so important.

It was then that the interview ended, we wished each other well, and we went our seperate ways.

Ichie Kamiche keeps a schedule of her events in her profile.

“If you are looking for a voice that is sultry, sensuous, and as smooth as butter to set a truely romantic tone to your night, look no further. With a heart as big as her voice, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.”

Bixyl Shuftan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive