Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Someone dial 911 now !!!

I just finished writing the story about the Linden infrastructure and I was following the tracks to see where they would lead to. I had already done so with the roads and hadn't seen a car anywhere. And I hadn't seen a train either, at least so far.

You can imagine my surprise when I actually heard the 'dong dong dong' and the typical sound of a moving train. I turned around and ... there it was !!! An actual locomotive !!! I was so surprised ...

I just couldn't believe my eyes. Well, not that I've never seen a train before, but this was a ghost train. There was just this empty train, not even a carriage with wood or coal, just the locomotive. And it was moving slowly but steadily towards whatever its destination was. Shocking !!!


Obviously I was very much intrigued and I followed the train, taking pictures along the way. At some point I found a nice position for a photo, at a train station. Just wondering if the train would stop there. It didn't. But I did see that someone had hopped in the train. I was even baffled for a moment, but I couldn't let it go, so I continued my pursuit.

And just as I was catching up to the locomotive again, my heart skipped a few beats !!! I just witnessed an accident as it was happening. There were these 2 people standing on the rails and they must have been as surprised as I was only moments before, that a train was coming. This guy was able to jump out of the way, but she ... ohhh, the train hit her hard and dragged her along for at least 20 meters !!!

However, somehow she must have a virtual guardian angel, because after a few agonizing seconds, she was able to jump off the bullbar of the train. She brushed off the dust (and grease from the dirty locomotive) and she seemed fine !!!


I guess that when the time comes that there will be trains driving around regularly across SL, people will be warned about the dangers of coming to close to the tracks and roads. For now, I will leave you with this note of caution: if you stand on the tracks, please beware of oncoming trains!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive