Saturday, June 2, 2007

Ground Zero

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered this book. It's called "Second Life - The official guide". You all know it probably, because it has been advertised on secondlife.com for a while now. And a couple of days ago ... the book came in !!! Woohoo ...

So, in those moments that I took a break from my Second Life, I browsed through the book (I'll give you a full review later on) and found a few places in there that were quoted as must-sees.

Of course, the virtual David Livingstone that I am, I swung my backpack over my shoulders and clicked a place on the map. I travelled to the region of Nakama, which is quoted in the book as 'Japanese Anime Paradise'. I was in for a surprise !!!

I landed exactly in what seemed to be Ground Zero and the only thing I could think of, was "boy, I should watch out with the book - the ink isn't even dry probably", because one of the buildings was still smoking !!

Apparently, the whole sim must have been evacuated pretty quickly. I was the only one there. I was in doubt about wearing my nuclear protection suit, but I just took my chances. I pressed the fly button and did some exploring. And I immediately understood why it's in the book !!! The architecture and texturizing of this sim is really amazing. I was impressed, but also kind of scared of what would happen if I stayed. It's the first time in sl that I felt that way, strengthened by the fact that I was all alone.




I had been circling the area for about 15 minutes I think, my thoughts filled with questions about what could have happened. I thought of virtual earthquakes, betatesting on the new WindLight system that may have resulted in a huge tornado, or maybe even a terrorist attack. But then ... all of a sudden, when I was flying aimlessly and unconcentrated around the buildings in the area, I bumped into something. It was huge, It was colorful and it was moving through the streets !!!!!

So I flew back a number of meters and my heart skipped a few beats ... I immediately understood what had happened. I had no choice but pressing Ctrl-Shift-H to teleport out in the quickest possible way and relax on my beach for a while, letting the adrenaline slowly subside. And looking at the photos I took, I realized that in my panic attack, I must have pressed the button on my camera, because I found this picture. I must have taken it by accident, just before teleporting out of there ...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive