Saturday, September 19, 2009

Created Content at risk again.............

No doubt about it content creators have a lot of risks to face in SL these days and today I was made aware of yet another issue with the permissions system that is in place at the moment.
According to my source this is not a new bug its one the Lindens have been aware of for a long time (yet have not fixed).
My source firstly asked me to provide a NO COPY/ NO MODIFY object, which i dropped on their profile, a few minutes later they gave me 5 copies back - I was still the creator and the original perms had not changed yet - they now had 5 copies of a no copy object!
I won't tell you how it is done (I have recreated it myself) as I think that would do a great deal of harm to content creators already stretched through copiers at work in SL.
I did however go to live chat to see what the Lindens had to say about it:

dana_Vanmoer: I can recreate someone elses no copy no modify object

dana_Vanmoer: the permissions do not change but i can copy an object as many times as i wish regardless of the original permissions

XXXXX: Ok Dana this is actually one we are aware of. Our engineers are working to fix it urgently and we are asking if any creators notice their work being copied they send in an abuse report and a DMCA

dana_Vanmoer: you already know about this?


XXXXX: We do and our engineers are working to fix it as an urgent situation and we have asked people send in dmca and abuse reports.

XXXXX: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

dana_Vanmoer: no but how urgent is urgent this is scary for any content creator?

dana_Vanmoer: The person who told me about this reported it over a week ago

XXXXX: I do understand Dana however as I am not an engineer I can not give a timescale other than to say they are definitely working on it and content creators should know how to send in DMCAs

dana_Vanmoer: they do but DMCA takes a long time

dana_Vanmoer: a week is a long time of having items copied

XXXXX: I do understand Dana however I can not provide any further information than I have already. If you believe your work is being copied contact us and we will absolutely investigate it.

To me this is scary as i sell all my wedding things transferable - no copy - no mod.
Good luck to all content creators I hope linden Lab really are treating this one as URGENT.

Dana Vanmoer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive