Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Panthers Prayer

Home at last, still in a fair amount of shock at how easily I had escaped what could have ended very differently. As I riffled threw the store room in the camp all thoughts of my captor, the one known as Thorn were far from my mind, I redressed my body in scraps of fur and skins. I knew now I had to train with my bow and become strong.
Over time I spent a lot of time alone, hunting bosk for meat and learning to fish in the waters close to the camp, days would go and I wouldn't see another sole, occasionally in the distance I would see a tall male, one with hair as fair as gold, which in these parts was rare to see in the men, he was always fast and swift on his feet. I was always tempted to shoot at him, but something always stopped me, I was not get confident enough, so I would stick to just mere survival.
As the days and went by, for no reason I can explain, other women started to come and go by the camp; each time they would stay longer and for some reason unbeknown to me they would call me En.
It seemed that they looked upon me as thier leader, so with the pressures of a tribe on my shoulders I had to push the thoughts of my former Master from my mind, I could never show them any weakness.
When i could be alone, I travelled from land to land, telling my sisters I was searching for food or supplies but in all reality I was merely searching for him, still in my heart I could never believe he was dead, every ship i sailed on; all the faces I would scrutinize. I would sneak into cities we had travelled together in the past, asking questions of old friends in a somewhat desperate and pathetic attempt to be re-united with my Master.
Every time I returned to the tribe a little more of my soul had died, but for my sisters I stayed strong.
Though unfortunately it seemed, the pirate Thorn had not forgotten my promise, every time it seemed I came back to the camp, the girls would tell stories of different pirates attacking and leaving messages for me in regards to the promise I had not kept, when questioned on this i would merely shrug it off, but in my eyes the fear was always evident.
There were other repetitive occurrences that became part of my life, the male who had originally given me the bow, he would appear on almost a daily basis never with a mere greeting but to shoot and attack me and my sisters, but the most he would do was slap my ass and laugh before running off back to where he had come from, it infuriated me, I would get so mad, but no matter how hard I tried I never could seem to win.
Still I would see the blonde one from a distance and now more confident my arrogance growing I would shoot a few arrows in his direction but never anything more, occasionally we would meet at the docks or trading posts, he was an attractive man, something about him always brought about a strange calm with in me, though again, I was becoming somewhat of an actress and would merely sneer at his greetings and spit at his feet........... but that I believe was to be the beginning of my downfall.................

By Kerri Spitteler

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive