Monday, April 14, 2008

Exploits in CG

With the Lindens making themselves so unpopular at the moment I heard a lot more talk about Central Grid and other options so I thought I would take a look myself to see if it was workable.
To start with the similarities were obvious with the 'ruthed avatar' I appeared in a dome with signs all around to instruct on how to get started - mostly unneeded for an SLer.
I immediately set to work on my appearance, I couldn't bear that avatar.
Firstly finding out there is no cost for uploads as there is no money here in CG although my balance showed $1000 it never changed. I uploaded a basic outfit and then set to work on my hair and skin; not so easy I had never made either before but I didn't do too badly as you can see from the image below I ended up with a fairly creditable look.
One problem seems to be saving this; you cannot edit the original skin or clothes but must create new ones which do not always save under the new name, after crashing I had to start over since the new ones i created were suddenly no MOD. and my appearance was 'ruthed' again.
I took a fly around after this, there was a large education center and a lot of buildings where I was, but always empty - I thought 'great' a huge empty world to experiment. Sim crossings were a lot more temperamental too and crash rates were very high.
I was directed to the sandbox to try building (I wanted to try to make hair) building here is exactly the same as in SecondLife although there seems to be a few glitches with linking objects and also taking them into your invent
Although I did in fact manage to make some simple prim hair I had huge problems attaching it, after reading the forum and seeing someone elses solution I rezzed it on the ground and then attatched, this did in fact work but when i tried to edit the position it went shooting off out of sight and the only way to find it was to log out and back in.
When I logged in I was yet again 'ruthed' but I could see the blue dot that indicated where my 'hair' had reappeared.
I was also told that LSL scripting would work here and more so I set about creating a newspaper vendor, a simple redirect to website script - this also was a failure it simply did not work, and not being a scripter, that was time for me to give up.
Although I found very little working, for those with knowledge and ability its a big open world waiting for you, for those, like me, that like to go into a shop and buy what you need then I would suggest waiting.
This is a world in its infancy and with no Inworld currency buying things from each other will not be an option for quite some time.
For cheaper land options, explorers and innovators - go for it, if you expect a second SL you will be disappointed. I will continue to keep up with CG as I can see the potential lets hope some of our more able content creators do too.
Dana Vanmoer reporting from Central Grid

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive