Thursday, April 9, 2009

Runway CEOs retire leading to accusations

Ok so first I got a press release stating that Maggie Mahoney and Ocean Bates were retiring to first life:

Maggie Mahoney and Ocean Bates have left Second Life for personal reasons and we wish them the best of luck. She has left the magazine in the capable hands of their staff.

I read with interest as I had recently been asked to do an interview for Runway so I opened the online magazine and read the full post with interest - You can read it here.

In the press release (but not in the blog post) it also said:
It is the wish of RUNWAY staff members to incorporate ouselves with the BOSL & CO group and continue to offer the very best of the modeling and fashion industry.
"I have always supported Runway Magazine and I will continue to support it for as long as I stay in SL" said Frolic Mills, new Publisher of Runway Magazine.
Expect the same concept but exiting new improvements as we quickly reorganize the quarters of Runway Magazine!
RUNWAY WILL CONTINUE ITS PUBLICATION AS ALWAYS !

Well to be honest this kind of made sense so I shrugged and thought no more of it until today when I recieved another press release this time sent by Frolic Mills:
Maggie Mahoney just made a press release accusing BOSL to have taken advatage of the RUNWAY Staff by quickly 'moving' to get the magazine.

So I went back to Runway to see exactly what Maggie had said:

RUNWAY will not merge with BOSL&CO.The Magazine will close.Originally the magazine had been left to the staff; however, after learning that Mr. Mills coerced the RUNWAY staff into believing that RUNWAY was indebted to him, that he had been given full control of the RUNWAY server network, RUNWAY Subscribers kiosk, etc., immediately brought them in under the BOSL corporate umbrella, had them to form new groups under his control, etc., I have decided to retain the branding rights and trademark and let the magazine officially close.

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to the staff who did step up to the plate to try to continue on and my apologies that you were taken advantage of.

Any action of BOSL&CO acting on behalf of RUNWAY should be considered fraudulent and without the express consent of myself, Ocean Bates, RUNWAY, RUNWAY SL, RUNWAY Magazine or RUNWAY Productions.

Full post HERE

When asked Frolic said:
"I find this quite interesting since it was the staff who invited me to their meeting and it was their decission to let BOSL run it. I offered to help out specially because of all the outstading contracts she left unfulfilled and for which she gave no refunds at all.
RUNWAY MAGAZINE is in financial liability and will no longer have any working servers inworld. My only intention with acquiring this magazine was to rescue the good name and reputation of the publishing world, and to help the RUNWAY staff keep their jobs. There is no other advantage.
But, since she has made it clear that she does not want BOSL to be involved with RUNWAY MAGAZINE, I will now gladly return it to all the staff members.
Maggie Mahoney resigned from RUNWAY and left it to her staff with full permissions to do as they pleased. Therefore, Maggie Mahoney has no longer any rights to RUNWAY MAGAZINE nor logos and should not be heard in any future decission making.
I wish all the Runway staff the best of luck."

So yet another drama unfolds in SL.
Dana Vanmoer

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive