Friday, March 21, 2008

Oil on troubled waters?

A few days ago I accepted an invitation to go sailing around Sailors Cove with freelance writer Delinda. I may say this was my first visit and I was stunned at the beauty and organisation of the huge area. I didn't know there was so much sea to sail in and I found my visit so relaxing - of course I couldn't help snapping away as we sailed, Delinda being an excellant navigator, I really enjoyed myself.
Yesterday I heard rumours of discontent and problems brewing at Sailors Cove and after my recent visit I pricked up my ears and hunted around for info.
It seems that there is some disagreement between owners and managers and sorting it out will be a long and arduous task.
Who does Sailors Cove belong to? Who legally owns it? What rights do the 3 owners/managers each have?
It seems to be a confused mess. Maybe if I was closely involved I would understand it better, but then again maybe not. Its one of the many difficulties Unique to Sl. One person may have officially bought the land but who knows who actually financed it, paid the tier for it? Does paying the tier mean you should have the land after disagreements arise between partners? How do you, after running into problems, divide an area like Sailors Cove? Should you divide it? Give it to the residents? What can be done in this situation?

At a meeting all this was discussed but with little resolution for the residents. From some points of view one owner is doing things the right way and trying to sort out the mess through negotiation and talks and all the time keeping the residents informed;
"I think Patrick is a real gentleman even to talk with them at all after all this. If it was me I would just tear up any agreement with them."
but, as always, there is another side that is not being made public.
"Though Patrick may have a valid point, taking over land is perhaps not the ideal move to settle something amicably...even if the initial intent (protect land from vandalism) was a good one"
The facts are clear the land is being divided, some going to one group and some to another. Objects have been returned and sims ruined.
Races and events are in doubt and residents in turmoil not knowing who owns what or who to trust for the answers.
Lets hope its cleared up quickly and painlessly for the residents. Sailors Cove is a beautiful place and it would be a shame to see it split up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive