Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The long awaited blog update:

A Day in the Lab with M
Greetings everyone!

A hearty welcome to our new blog network. There is so much going at Linden Lab and in the Second Life community, we wanted to be able to encourage people to post and share but do it in a way that is easily navigated by our readers. Hence, the new blog structure with different channels for different topics. Hope you like it.

I've introduced myself and posted before on the Secondlife.com blog so you know me already. But our comms team thought it might be fun to share "...a day in the life of..." starting with a day in the life of M Linden.

There is no typical M Linden day but they generally go something like this:

  • Get up before the sun, grab a coffee and scan email, read SL news and blogs, the NY Times and the WSJ. I call this "Mark time." Like Blue, I am not a morning person
  • Go to the gym for a workout then walk to the office (this is when I get my mind ready for the day)
  • Catch up with my two pod mates -- Catherine (PR) and Philip (Chairman) who sit on either side of me, share a laugh, move their stuff back onto their desks which is always overflowing on to mine (I am the neatest of the three in our pod) then get to work
  • Peruse our very extensive metrics dashboard to see how the company is doing (with literally hundreds of measures for everything you can imagine from Resident satisfaction to registrations in last hour to frame-rate-per-second) for 10-15 minutes
  • Have 1:1 meetings with leaders of the big projects underway in the Lab (most recent was Judy on localization of the Second Life experience for international markets)
  • If its a Monday or Wednesday, I usually lead our executive meeting where we talk about the opportunities and challenges of the day. If it's a Friday, I give a "state of the company" talk at our Friday Lunch here in the Battery Lab
  • Review some work done by one of the teams -- maybe a new design for the Land store, or a UI improvement we are planning
  • Hit the snack store at 3PM with everyone else
  • Have a press interview (most recent was the BBC) on exciting things happening in Second Life
  • Attend inworld meetings with service providers, partners, press, research firms but before I do I usually have to respond to inworld messages and forward comment cards on to folks in the Lab who can help

That's it in a nutshell. Enjoy the blog!

M(ark) Linden

By the looks of things they may actually have got it right, there is a lot to read and different areas for different interests, many Lindens introducing themselves with 'the day in the life' posts.
So far it looks great! Well done Team Linden go see for yourself HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive