Saturday, October 18, 2008

Heron Island Performance Space

I'd arrived early, TP'ing over to look around before meeting Gillian Carthage at the Heron Island Performance Space.
I'd been there with Bri, attending a concert the week before. While there, I'd introduced myself in between shows to Gillian and we set a date and time to meet for this interview.
Gillian and her partner Carter are the owners and operators of the venue.
The venue is empty right now, the three blue Heron's stand sentry next to the entry, waiting on the arrival of the next performer to grace the stage and his or her accompanying crowd.
I stroll past them and into the build, passing over the glass block textured floor and looked for a place to sit.
The bench seating arranged into a semi-circle around the performers area rezzes as I approach.
I select sit from the pie menu and sit. Waiting now, I scan around with the camera controls admiring the open air venue and the minimalism of build.
Ms Carthage soon arrived in world and joined me on the bench.
"I've been here for a little while now, admiring the build. How are you doing today Gillian?" I asked.
"I'm great, thanks, and you?" Gillian responded. "Carter put the venue together."
"In your profile, the 1st Life tab, you say that 'RL is so good I almost didn't explore SL', what bought you into SL and why have you stayed?" I ask her.
"Well my husband was interested. A lot of the people he works with are involved, and as his industry is learning that it must support virtual reality, he decided to check it out and I came along for the ride. And then I went to a concert and after that I couldn't stay out" She replied.
"Do you remember who the performer was and the venue?" I asked.
"I knew you would ask that. I think it might have been Picker Apogee at Muse Isle." She replied.
"Can you tell me about the name Gillian? Is there a meaning behind your SL name selection?"
"Ah, well I knew of a Gillian long ago. She didn't really know me, but I bought organic produce from her. She was an herbalist and was just a beautiful, lovely person I admired a lot. So when I had the opportunity to give myself a name, I chose Gillian. For me it evokes health and vitality." Gillian replied.
"Is Heron your first venue?" I asked her.
"Yes it is. I have just built a second venue, but have yet to have the first concert there. I hope to christen her in the next week or two." She responded.
"How long has it been open and is there a meaning behind the name 'Heron'?" I ask her.
"I have always been in awe of the Heron, which is a magnificent creature. So when it came time to name the island that was my choice. We have been up and running for about a year and a half now, though not in this location in SL." She replied.
"How much time does it take to manage Heron?" I asked.
"Well it is a commitment and we do spend a lot of time here . . . in sheer hours it's hard to say. We have about 20 concerts a month, so we are here for all of those plus extra times scheduling and ironing out technical issues like streaming problems. I also try to hear new artists who come to SL. Respond to requests for auditions. I am here a lot." Gillian replied.
"Are there any notable performances or memorable moments that stand out for you?" I asked.
"Well it's always fun when one or the other SIM crashes during a show. Really, it makes us laugh. I am trying to think of a standout moment . . . but what really comes to mind is that we have really grown into a very warm, vital community here. We are so honored by the fine musicians who bring their gifts here . . . and we are dazzled by the people who attend. They are kind, warm, witty, fun to be around. We have become good friends and it's really so much more than just sitting listening to good music. It's friendship. It's a circle." Gillian replied
"How about a moment that you'd like to forget?" I ask.
"Well we've been griefed in ways that did not amuse. That makes me feel bad because the people behind it miss the fabulous reasons we are here. I guess they don't turn on their music players." She replied and smiled.
"Beside the new venue that you're going to open, do you have any other plans for the next year?" I asked.
"Well we are going to get Teal Island up and running and see how that goes. The new venue is named Cinnamon Park by the way. Everything we do is done with an eye to funding the music program here. All our revenues go to that. So it would be lovely to develop the estate to the point that we can grow the concert schedule but that depends on interest by others." She replied.
"Do you have any closing thoughts you'd like to share with my readers?" I ask."We extend a hearty welcome to all who would like to come hear the best that SL has to offer." She replied and smiled.
With Nazz Lane

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive