Wednesday, January 27, 2010

People Path LLC Research Study in SL

Some time at the end of 2009, I received a notice about a research study being conducted in SL.  I have no idea how I got on the list, but it certainly piqued my curiosity.   We were asked to complete a survey to determine if we met the criteria for participation in the study. The study,  by People Path LLC,  was being conducted to investigate the overlaps and impacts of SL on RL and vice versa.  As one would expect, the questions on the survey centered around that theme.  After submitting my survey, I was informed I had been accepted to participate in the study. 
The study was completely anonymous and was comprised of 3 options by which to participate.  RL information was not to be collected and avatar names were to be "coded and 'washed'" for the study so as not to reveal anyone's RL/SL identity. 
The first option for involvement was to occur in December, involving group discussions in SL with 5-6 avatars.  These group discussion were to last one to two hours covering RL/SL overlap.  Involvement in a group discussion (full participation) netted the participants $L10,000.  I found I was unable to devote up to two hours of my time on the days/times presented to me so I opted out of this one. 

The second option for participation was  to begin in early January involving one-on-one voice interviews with Flower Ninetails (aka Christine Bolas, People Path LLC).  The interviews could take place via voice chat in SL, Skype or telephone.  I was approached to do one of these interviews, having not participated in any of the group discussions.  As I was in between working headsets, I opted for the telephone interview.  This level of participation
was to pay $L15,600.
My interview was scheduled for 15 January at 2 pm SLT.  I anxiously awaited the phone call, having no idea what on earth to expect.  All I really knew was that it would take one to one and a half hours.   
The phone rang at the appointed time, and after brief introductions, my interview began.  The questions were very interesting I thought.  Among those were questions with regard to
when or if SL ever prevented you from attending to RL, or whether SL prevented you from attending RL commitments/appointments, etc., as well as if it affected your parenting in any way.  Other questions were centered around the aspects I found "binding" in SL, for instance, was it the social networking, was it a connection to RL and was I making lindens to convert to RL cash, and why did I need lindens,  why did I need a home and pay rent, all questions along those lines.  I was quite fascinated with the direction of some of the questions as they seemed to focus on many areas which I had myself pondered and thought about their significance.  I also offered opinion and my own personal experiences as relates to SL vs. RL.


I asked about the data, stating it would be interesting to see the results at the conclusion of the study (me and my damn RL research job!).  However, this study is being conducted for a client of People Path and all data collected will be the client's property to do with as they will. When the interview concluded, "Flower" logged in and paid me my fee. 
On to the third type of participation in this study.  This will be one-on-one, face-to-face interviews in person, in a place of the individual's choosing.  Christine will fly to  the individual's location (nice budget!).  These interviews are expected to cover a few hours discussing aspects of RL/SL overlap.  The participants will be paid $300 in cash. 

I felt the interview was interesting, had excellent questions and I am glad I had an oppotunity to participate.  I sent a note with after thoughts and comments that didn't come to mind during the interview.  In the end, however, although the experience got me thinking, revisiting ideas I have had in the past, I doubt it will change how I enjoy or interact in SL. 

By Shellie Sands

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive