Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What Happened to Book Island?

A visit to Book Island, adjacent to the now vanished Publishing Island, revealed a virtual ghost town, one that lent an eerie feeling of abandonment. 
Walking about, it was evident that quite a few empty booths were present, and not a soul in sight.   An information sign provided rental details and contact individuals.   Notes were sent to each of the two contacts listed, Selina Greene, the sim owner, and Ariadne Korda, "Cultural Manager."   A click on the blog link in an effort to obtain more information proved to be futile...the blog was no longer recognized.
Book Island was once an active sim, complete with its own blog and  various events focused on writers, as well as readers, offering live readings, etc. One author, Diana Allandale, once held writing seminars there.  She did not respond to a request for comments.   
Word on the street has it that the sim owner vanished, supposedly to pursue her RL publishing career, rarely communicating with only one other person on the Island.   According to Ariadne, Cultural Manager, she assumes that tier continues to be paid, but had no information to offer on the demise of Publishing Island.   I had a chat with Ariadne, who was kind enough to respond to the request for information.  The information she had to offer began to paint a very sad picure. 
AK:   "Hi Shellie - I would LOVE to know what is going on with Book Island myself - the owner has disappeared, not a word from her for over a year (to me at least). I can add people to the group (and still do), but can't even remove things with my name on them. The whole thing is frustrating and extremely disappointing to me - there is zero communication. Yes would be pleased to tell you what I know, but it's not much."
SS:  "Thanks for your response...If you can tell me the evolution of things, that would be sufficient I think."
AK:  "The owner just said she had some RL issues and then disappeared, basically...
she communicates rarely with another person at BI, who is also pretty frustrated. I would have dropped the group but I still answer requests to join it, and never say anything negative...but it's hard when people say 'it's not very dynamic, is it?' I can only presume the owner is still paying tier but I had no info about the sale of Publishing.  I am SORELY tempted to send out a group notice (I still have powers, I think) and ask what the hell is going on."
SS:  "Not a bad idea...have you made repeated attempts to contact her?  It seems she has left the place to rot, and it is also a portion empty."
AK:   "YES. I had her mail, and no answer, including some fairly blunt ones."
SS:  "Lost interest it seems."
AK:  "Yes... and people are still paying rent, which is sad.  I was hired as 'cultural manager' (I'm a published writer) to do events, but that was like bashing my head against a wall,
every idea was 'well, I'll give it some thought'."
SS:  "And then left to nothing?"
AK:  "I organised dozens at first, for which she OCCASIONALLY paid me (but only if I was there... which isn't possible on US times).  So I got the odd 200L, but not if I did the work but  wasn't actually present..then she disappeared so I wasn't going to just give and give. I rebuilt the beach area (I build on here) - to virtually no comment.  So yes, frustration all along the line, and it's SUCH a shame - the place has potential but not if it's just left to rot."
SS:  "Gosh, it could be a meeting place for writers and sharing of ideas and such, have readings and stuff."
AK:  " Yes I did that...at one point she mentioned wondering if to keep it - and a group of friends offered to buy her out and she said 'no' - this was before she disappeared.  So I'm afraid I more or less abandoned ship. I was getting nothing from it in terms of pleasure or appreciation."
SS:  "I understand that."
AK:  "The place really needs a rebuild and some WORK on it, but I can't see anyone doing that for free...I really AM sympathetic if the owner has problems."
SS:  "It seems such a shame the whole thing, how can someone just abandon an entire sim?"
AK:  " But how much effort would it take to answer my mails, IMs, notecards?"
SS:  "Exactly...well, I understand your plight Aridane, and I sympathize...please le me know if you find anything out further."
AK:  "I will... I would actually just like to LEAVE but as my name is on the notecards I feel I should still give people the group tag...although even then..."
SS:  "I understand...maybe the article will bring some attention to the situation."
AK:   "Maybe. It's just such a SHAME...But... getting it turned around would be a massive job."
SS:   "Yes, and would require time and dedication."
AK:  "At the time, I had that... But not when I have no leeway, and not least no income from it.  It's NOT my place, and no instructions, no nothing...such a shame..."
SS:  "Agreed Ariadne :(  I'm so sorry, but I am happy you gave me the info you have :)"
AK:  "You can quote me, particularly the 'such a shame'.  I'm sad rather than angry."
SS:  "Thanks so much for your time."
AK:  "You're welcome."
So, it seems  the future of Book Island is unknown at this time.  One can only hope that change will occur and bring new life to this worthwhile place.

By Shellie Sands

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive