Friday, December 4, 2009

Visions in Color


For weeks I have been meaning to take a tour of The Criss, The Museum of Contemporary Art in Alajuela. I have been hearing such wonderful things about it. 
As I arrived I was struck with the structure of the museum. It is very contemporary itself and a fitting vessel for the art. There are walking tours every Monday, Wednesday and Sunday at 2:30.  Kathy Nikolaides, our guide met us at the entrance and with her was one of the new artists, Kirle Adamski. We entered into one section of the building which displays the wonderful abstract watercolors of Antenna Rae. 
They are splashes of color to the eye and the mind.  We moved on to the next section and there were the delightful works of Genevieve Silvercloud in which you see features in 3D within the art piece. 
The next exhibit made me feel I was in the old west of the US. Van Caerndow executes his art on glass and is wonderfully vibrant. As soon as we arrived in the next gallery I was taken with a work called “Sunrise” . Kathy told  us we were privileged to be with the artist who turned out to be Kirle! 
“ I use storm colours in abstract themes . i never draw the motiv before i paint, the motiv just grows by itself”. 
Her works were lovely. Rolling Shuffle was the final artist we viewed. The exhibit is called Jazz in Oslo and I actually saw the music before I heard the name. 
Outside the building again we admired the view. There is a poetry reading area with a relaxation rug for comfort. Across from the museum is a large amphitheatre where building classes are held. You can check on events at a Board in the front. 
You will enjoy your visit whether you take a guided tour or wander alone. 
Ours was a quick visit so I know I will be back to see more. Begin here,
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Alajuela/188/78/22


Gemma Cleanslate

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive